Weightlifting is one of the most common exercises to grow the biceps and triceps because these exercises are known to contract, relax and breakdown the muscles well. But even this needs to be done in a proper way. This article gives a vast description of how to perform weightlifting for bigger biceps and triceps. Exercises using weights
1. Long head of the biceps: One of the best exercises to train the biceps is using a variety of dumbbell curls. Unilateral exercise is preferred for better results over bilateral ones. Here is how to do it.
Isolate the long head of the biceps (also known as the outer portion of the biceps) by inclining the dumbbell curls. The long head is underdeveloped compared to the growth of short head, so this exercise should be focused upon well.
In order to get 6 to 8 repetitions strictly always use heavier weights. To get big arms fast it is important to execute movements properly. Stick to your elbows at the side and never curl with shoulders.
Lift up/explode, hold there for a second to achieve contraction and go down slowly to accomplish the micro tear as mentioned earlier in the article. Make a count of 3 to 4 seconds while lowering. This enhances proper contraction and expansion of the biceps.
2. The short head of the biceps: To train the short head of the biceps, the best exercise is the dumbbell curl alternating. It can accomplish either in a standing position or in a sitting one. Standing will let you get more reps when you are tired/exhausted. Here are the steps:
Again in this also to get 6 to 8 reps, use heavy weights.
Supinate your forearm when you raise the weights and squeeze as hard as you can. The trick to doing this is to grab the dumbbell in a way that the base of your hand is touching the dumbbell. This enhances the activation of muscle fiber so that muscle depth is increased through the exploitation of biceps function.
In order to hit the twitch fibers explode up and lower slowly under control up to 3 to 4 seconds.
The other way round to train one head over the other is to manipulate the position of hands at the elbow. A wide grip for short head and narrow grip for long head muscle is the tip.
When you get bored of the same old movements, you can always mix up but be careful while using flat barbells.
3. The overall mass of the triceps: Like the other muscles triceps can become smarter with compound movements with the strongest energy. This will enhance overloading the muscles for growth and stimulation to the maximum extent.
Dips is the best practice to grow the triceps mass. The long and medial head are usually the target. Do it upright without bending forward with reduced chest involvement. 5 to 10 reps is the goal to be set
Do it as heavy as your body can till you exhaust and squeeze the triceps on top. Same like you do for the biceps, explode up and go down slowly under control within 3 to 4 seconds.
4. Lateral Head of the triceps: For a horseshoe look, you should train the lateral head of the triceps. The trick is to lower the weights and execute by feel. Lateral head is underdeveloped so your body will try to laze by training other heads.
Cable press downs is the best exercise
Do the rope extensions with a neutral grip or even an overhand grip of normal bar will train the lateral head of the triceps
The elbows should be constant while squeezing the bottom. Get a good squeeze for the best contraction and you should feel the burning after which you can drop the weight. 12 – 15 reps can accomplish this kind of burning.
5. Medial Head of the triceps:
An overhead cable extension hanging from the ceiling at your gym is meant for the medial head of the triceps. Unilateral exercise with this is better than doing it with bars as the cable is easier for the wrists. 3 sets of this exercise with 15 – 20 reps should accomplish medial head
Slowly contract and squeeze the bottom
6. Long head of the triceps: This is usually optional because the long head is underdeveloped and is negligible when you have a huge mass. But still for that perfect look, you may consider the following exercises:
Stretch the muscle by mechanical movements, an overhead movement is a favorable one
Overhead dumbbell extensions with 3 sets of 10 reps can accomplish a good stretch at the bottom.
This exercise is best recommended to be done at the end of the workout session as it is expected to be little more on the elbows in the case of improper warm up.